PO Box 101 ~ 300 Memorial Drive, South Bend, WA 98586
(360) 875-9340 Office ~ (360) 875-9341 EOC ~ (360) 875-9342 Fax

Monday, December 7, 2009

Rogue Siren Helped Citizens Prepare

This email was received on December 4th by the Pacific County Emergency Management Agency and is being posted with the author's permission. It is a citizen's experience dealing with the accidental activations of the All Hazards Alert Broadcast siren at the intersection of Seabreeze Avenue and Warrenton Cannery Road in North Cove. My name is Elaine and I live in North Cove. I heard the first siren that went off at 4 a.m. It woke me up and I jumped up and ran in and turned on my emergency radio and there was no information about an emergency. I realized I didn't know any phone number to call and I realized I didn't have a clue of what to do next. My emergency radio wasn't in my car. I didn't know where my cell phone was to grab it. I also hadn't taken the time to get some warm clothes on and be sure to have some shoes on. My husband hadn't even gotten out of bed. So, if this had been a real emergency, we weren't as ready as we should have been. The siren has been going off again this morning. Maybe this will help someone else to be more prepared. I have emergency supplies in my car but some of the important things that I use were not ready to be grabbed. I'm assuming if the alarm doesn't go off on our radio it is probably not a real emergency. If the siren goes off and no voice comes on it probably isn't an emergency. I need to post a telephone number to call even if at 4 a.m. in the morning; keep my cell phone where I can grab it in case of an emergency; get my important papers in my safety deposit box; and back up my computer on one of the advertised programs. The 4 a.m. wake up call was good for me to be more prepared, although it might not be good for people with a weak heart. My husband didn't have his hearing aids in so he didn't hear anything. He kept right on sleeping so that wasn't a problem for him. It was mentioned at the meeting in Tokeland to keep in touch and let you know if we hear the sirens so that is what I am doing. Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment